[Wyewood] Fwd: Feast of St. Bubba Largesse Swap!

Kris John gwir.sca at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 17:41:33 PST 2020

Greetings Wyewood!
I'm coordinating A&S for the Feast of St Bubba, including a Largesse Swap
like we did last year. Will you be participating?
If you're not familiar with largesse, here's a primer from Dragons Mist -
https://dragonsmist.antir.sca.org/what-is-largesse/
The idea is to bring 6 items (they can be the same or 6 different things).
Before the feast, we'll "swap" and participants can pick up to 3 of the
items to take. Remaining items go to the Barony.
Also, I'd love to help you find an idea for your skills and resources. I
have a couple ideas that require very little or no craft skill and ideas
that take more, just feel free to email.
In the meantime, here are some resources:

   - I've copied a list at the bottom from the SCA Largesse Facebook group
   for inspiration.
   - If you're on Facebook, I've also made a couple posts in the Barony of
   Wyewood Discussion Group with ideas and links.
   - In case you're on Pinterest, here's a link to my Largesse board -
   https://www.pinterest.com/seekingjoytoday/sca/largesse/
   - Here are some other websites with ideas:
      - https://dawnsdressdiary.wordpress.com/2016/10/04/largess-ideas/
      -
      https://wiki.eastkingdom.org/index.php?title=Royal_Gifts_and_Largesse
      -
      http://www.trystancraft.com/costume/2013/12/15/largess-recommendations-for-the-west-kingdom/

I can't wait to swap with you all!
YIS,
HL Gwir verch Merewith

*Largess Ideas:*

*For Fighters:*

~Armor Sachets (a cloth bag of Cedar Chips or a sand-able Cedar plank) to
go into the armor bag.

~Duct Tape (Silver & Black are perhaps most used)

~Neck Coolers

~Small First-Aid Kits

~Basic Weapon/Armor/Archery Repair Kits (ask a Marshal for what items would
be most useful),

~Electrical Tape or Grip Tape

~Oil Wipes

~Small Pieces of Leather

~Bird Blunts (Archery piece that is used to go over the tip of a blade)

~Sanding Block or Sponge

~Quick Rivets

~Leather Strapping

~Pliers or Small Hammers

~Heavy Duty Scissors

~Paracord

~Hose Clamps

~Zip-Ties

~Beeswax

~Leather Bracers

~Leather Finger Guards

*For Scribes:*

~Calligraphy Quills

~Parchment Paper

~Scroll Blanks

~Illuminated Cards

~Illuminated Bookmarks

~Seals & Sealing Wax

~Brushes & Brush cases

~Scroll Cases

*For Anyone Items:*

~Paternosters/rosaries

~Tie on pockets

~Wooden or Metal Boxes, Tankard Frogs (also called mug frogs)

~Feast Gear (wooden or earthenware mugs, flatware sets, placemats, plates,
etc.)

~Napkins (hem a small square of linen, add embroidery perhaps)

~Fabric Cup Covers

~Waxed Linen Rounds

~Pouches with or without embellishment (make a drab drawstring pouch a work
of art by adding some hand embroidery, applique or block printing)

~Belt Pouches

~Drawstring bags

~Haversacks

~Belts (2-3 yards at least 2" wide if woven) AVOID WHITE RED GREEN OR
YELLOW they are reserved colors for Orders within many Kingdoms - consult
your Kingdom Sumptuary Laws

~Woven Cords (Kumihimo, Lucet, fingerwoven or otherwise in at least 36"
lengths or 12" lengths in large sets)

~Period Trim (at least 1 yard for a neckline, add more to match cuffs)

~Leather Cord

~Pieces or Lacing

~Period Fabric

~Skeins of Wool

~Linen or Silk Thread

~Candles

~Cloak Pins or Fibulas

~Buttons - Natural, Metal, Cloth or Thread Covered (12+ to close a doublet,
12-20 for 2 sleeves),

~Card Weaving Kits (tablets + instructions)

~Lucet Kits (Lucet, thread + instructions)

~Naalbinding Kits (Needle, fiber + instructions)

~Metal work (small hand-forged items like fire-strikers or troll crosses)

~Journals or Notebooks

~Wooden or Bone Combs

~Tissue Covers

~Cell Phone Pouches

~Glass Beads or Stone Beads

~Illuminated note cards

~Small Notebooks

~Hook & Eye Closures (set of at least two)

~Buckles (pairs or single are fine)

~Period Games (include board. instructions & all pieces) {nine man morris,
chess, checkers (draughts), backgammon (tables)}

~Struck Coins (for gambling)

~Wooden boxes (small for jewelry or accessories, large for baronets, herbs,
etc.)

~Dice

*Personal Items, Kids, and Other:*

~A bag to carry drinks, etc

~Mustache Wax or Beard Balm

~Bruise Cream

~Muscle Cream (Icy-Hot or similar)

~Hats

~Hoods

~Soap

~Bottle Openers

~Heavy Duty Handsoap (such as pumice or Viking Soap)

~Needles

~Needle Cases

~ Woven Cords (fingerloop braid, kumihimo, lucet, etc at lease 36’ long)
lacing garments.

~Pincushions

~Embroidery Kits (Include pattern, instructions + supplies)

~Veils

~Veil Pins

~Lucets

~Woven trims

~Aprons

~Scented Sachets

~Handkerchief

~Soaps

~Perfumes

~Embroidery Supplies (beeswax, snips, thread of all types)

~Bent Wood Boxes

~Most often Left Behind Bag (includes Shout Wipes, Wet Wipes, Lip Balm,
Bobby-Pins, Ponytail Bands, Safety Pins, etc.)

~Jewelry of All Types

~Period Toys (fabric poppets, wood animals, hobby horses, leather balls,
juggling toys, tops),

~Doodle Pads with Colored Pencils (Crayons tend to melt)

~Dolls & animal toys

~Wands & Soap-bubble solution

~Bubble Wands & Solution (make sure containers can be SECURELY closed)

*Other:*

LABEL EVERTHING!!

~Food and Drink (avoid perishable foods, jams, pickles, hard candies, etc)

~Meads

~Cordials

~extracts

~Spice Kits

Copyright 2018 by Sotaira A. Morrigan, <runabrynhildrdottir at yahoo.com>.
Permission is granted for republication in SCA related publications,
provided the author is credited. Please contact me if you wish to use this
as a class handout to get permission to reproduce. Please make every
attempt to contact author to ensure that the author is notified of the
publication and if possible receives a copy.