[Wyewood] Arts Unframed 2018

Tanayle Haga tanayle.haga at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 12:03:12 PDT 2018

Good morning Wyewood!

Just some more thoughts about Arts Unframed to share with you all this fine
day.
First of all, I am SO EXCITED to share Wyewood's impressive and diverse
Arts and Sciences knowledge with the rest of the world.  We are a
remarkably rich little barony, and have much skill and talent here that
deserves to be shown off.

Second, just a reminder that interactive displays (lecture, workshop,
whatever format works for you) would ideally fill about a 15 minute chunk
of time.  This is to help make sure that everyone gets a chance to check
out everything, without being too overwhelmed or tied down as either
participant or presenter.

Third, this is a fantastic excuse to learn and present something that maybe
you've been interested in, but needed a good excuse to put some time and
focus into.

If you would love to be involved, but aren't sure where to start, Pelegrina
kindly shared a fantastic list of topics she (and I, and many others) would
love to see presentations on, static or interactive:

medieval-ish cooking,
medieval-ish baking,
brewing (beer, mead, wine),
dance (court and country styles), embroidery,
spinning,
weaving,
belly dance,
costuming (basically every period, but especially non-British-Isles and
non-Norse) including headgear and footwear,
jewelry making,
cosmetics and hair care,
heraldry,
illuminated manuscripts,
medieval-ish games and gaming,
leatherwork,
arrow making,
blacksmithing,
bardic (what is this, what does it entail in the SCA, what was the period
equivalent),
theatre of various periods/locations,
making medieval-ish plant dyes
To quote Peregrina "....I'm sure more will come to me, this is just the
stuff that's pricked my ears over the past decade."

Since Arts Unframed will be on a high school campus, I would ask that any
presenters who would like to share their knowledge of brewing alcohol
please refrain from presenting the finished product, and perhaps show off
the raw or partially-processed ingredients instead. Also, discussion of
cultural context, ingredient sourcing, myths, superstitions, known science
of the time/place--this part is fascinating, and I know that several of us
are really hoping someone in our fair Barony (or nearby) would share what
they've learned of this.
Come to think of it, the above approach would apply nicely to a great
number of topic, especially food-related.

I am also working on some fun activities for the day, like a
follow-the-clues treasure hunt, a "passport" cleverly disguised as an event
copy that can be marked off by presenters for attendance and interaction,
perhaps some sort of auction?

I greatly look forward to hearing the ideas and suggestions that I'm sure
you all have.

Yours in Service,
Event Steward Tabby